I cannot tell you how many times I have heard the question “what do moms do all day?” while it is a valid question sometimes, other times, it is genuine ignorance or something that equals it. Being a mother is THE toughest job I have ever had. And yes, I’ve worked in retail.
All mamas will tell you this is the most rewarding job they have ever had. But, let’s not kid ourselves, it is indeed a JOB. So, when I am asked that question, I always want to ask if they would like to hear the timeline because I have one. Yes, my friends, I am going to share it and settle this once and for all. My job as a mother.
Tip: If you love your mom, let her sleep in once in a while!
~this post contains links from affiliate partners. that means that if you purchase something from a link I provide you, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. To learn more, please visit the Blog DisclosureDisclosures & Such page. thank you~
I am actually lucky in this area. I hear NOTHING when I am dead to the world. Not my child (now that they are old enough to come to my room) when they need something in the middle of the night, not the alarm with the warning label that reads “WARNING THIS ALARM WILL WAKE YOU UP.” I am pretty sure that Jesus himself could be calling me from the heavens and I still would not hear anything. But, I still have to get up. Matt must shake me a few times.
And So the Story Goes
- 6 am (sometimes it’s 6:45, let us not be judgy here) get up and wake the kids. This is sometimes a 20-minute task.
- Make sure everyone eats and is dressed.
- Check email
- Take all the dogs out. Sometimes with help of the kids. Most times, without help from kids.
- 7:20 Must be out of the house and in the car.
- 8 am arrive at school. Check in with teachers and make sure there is nothing someone forgot to tell dad or me. Wait with other moms until kids go into class
- 9 am get home, take the dogs out. Wash dishes from last night (again, do not judge) sweep the kitchen, gather everything not put away the night before (mostly kids toys and crap) wipe down the tables. Start a load of laundry.
SIDE NOTE: does any of you moms have a solution to not having to do laundry each day that does not include becoming a nudist or having to look at mountains of laundry? I genuinely would love to hear!
- 10:30 am Decide dinner for the night. I hate last minute anything, so this is a huge priority for me. If dinner involves the crock pot or thawing of meat or veggie prep I usually do this now.
- 11 am to 12 pm I am handling the day’s events here. This may include helping Matt with something, doing a small craft, or working at the school in one of the kids class. I have also recently been helping the School Booster Club (more on this in the future) and right now we are working on Family reading night and the end of the year party/silent auction for this year.
Do Moms ever eat?
- At 1:50 Someone needs to go get the kids, and that job is split right now between Matt and I. If he goes I vacuum and prepare for the kids to get home. In the winter I am bringing in firewood for the evening.
- 3:30 the kids are home All Hell usually breaks loose. Someone will throw a fit. Someone is hungry. I need to look at this note, and someone is mad at another person. Around this time, I try to stay off the computer right after school so that they have my attention.
- 4:30 Time to start dinner if it’s not already going. If it is then I set the table and switch the laundry.
- 5 pm is dinner time and normally the time for the family to sit down and chat about our day. THIS is one of my favorite parts of the day.
- 6 pm Homework time. THIS is my least part of the day.
Can I just say I do not remember this much homework when I was in elementary school?
- 7 pm Bath time and try to pick out tomorrow’s school clothes. Because remember, I dislike surprises. And I need to see it before they get out of the car in the morning and see the huge paint stain or hole in the knee. (I do wonder how I miss those things when we are at home?)
- 7:30 Bedtime story. ANOTHER one of my favorite times.
- 8 pm Bedtime for kiddos! Also, the time that my children need water and a snack and another hug, and the fan on….
- 830 pm I get on here and write for you guys! ANOTHER favorite.
- 10:30 or 11 pm Geez where did the night go? I have researched and written and fact-checked and edited photos and fed the dogs. I likely did some other stuff too (like a shower). Now, I want to spend a little of time with Matt. We usually watch a show on Netflix.
- 12 to 12:30 am. Bedtime.
Whew. That made me sleepy just writing it. I also handle other things that randomly get thrown into the mix. Shopping. The kids need an item fixed. The dogs need a bath.
This list may seem like a complaint. And I suppose it does read that way. But honestly? I chose this life. This is the life that I adore. I have worked many jobs, and none have compared to this in any way. Like most moms, I am just hoping that my children will remember their childhood with fond memories. I hope they remember I was always there for them.
I hope they know that while it is and will always be a job, It is the best job in the universe and I would not trade it for any other.
If you have a mile long list I would love to know what you get done during the day. Do you have a full-time, taxes paid job as well as being a mother? I want to hear about that too!
Until next time…
Do you need a pin?
Hey are you still reading? Check out these great posts: